Friday, September 7, 2012

09 07 - The Titanic Iceberg

0907 Iceberg

This ended up being such a cool picture that I had to give two days in my blog to the Titanic exhibit.  We weren't supposed to take pictures, but I justified this as we did not take a picture of any of the artifacts, just the ice.  (Plus, there was no guard in the room.)  This is an actual huge hunk of ice with a sign that said 'touch the iceberg'.  I wonder how long it took them to make it, is it the same piece that they started with?  Now, it is about 6-8 inches thick and still taller than me (more than 6 ft.).  Another interesting fact about the Titanic iceberg is that salt water freezes at a lower temperature than fresh water.  Icebergs are frozen freshwater.  Therefore, the sea water where the ship went down and 700 people survived was actually at -1C, or below freezing.  I set my camera to 'no flash' and Ray took the picture of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment