Wednesday, September 19, 2012

09 16 - Happy Anniversary, Cherokee Strip

0916 Strip

Today is the anniversary of the Land Run and Opening of the Cherokee Strip in Indian Territory, Oklahoma, on September 16, 1893.  In Enid, Oklahoma (next town from where I grew up in Garber), there is a museum, the Cherokee Strip Regional Heritage Center.  They have built a 'community' of mostly donated or recontructed buildings from northwest Oklahoma.  This is the actual Land Office from Perry, Oklahoma, reconstructed in this building.  There were three land offices in Oklahoma Territory and this one in Perry is the actual office where my great-grandfather, my mother's grandfather, registered his claim.  (Guy on the left is the tour guide.)  My mother, Dorotha Naylor Keller Hoffman, is in the wheelchair, pushed by my sister, Becky.  I remember my grandmother, Rena Hood Naylor, telling the story about riding in the wagon on the Run while her daddy rode his horse across the Kansas line to stake his claim near Braman, OK.  Grandma Naylor was born in 1889 and was 4 years old at the time.  It is kind of strange going to a museum where you know half of the people featured in the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment